Leistritz will host its' Pharmaceutical-Nutraceutical Extrusion Seminar on June 6-7, 2018 that will focus on the latest melt extrusion and granulation technologies for pharmaceutical and nutraceutical products. This "hands-on" seminar starts with the basics and explains why the continuous twin screw extrusion process is the preferred manufacturing method to make a consistent and repeatable dosage delivery mechanism.
Day 1 - Wednesday, June 6, 2018
8:45 AM - Opening Remarks
- Twin Screw Extrusion Theory, Tips and Test Results - Charlie Martin, Leistritz
- Twin Screw Design, Processing Guidelines and Scale-Up - Bill Thiele, Leistritz
- Developments in Twin Screw Granulation - Mike Thompson, McMaster University
- Hot-Melt Extrusion Viewed as a Special Polymer Compounding - Costas Gogos, Polymer Processing Institute
- Downstream Extrusion Equipment for Processing Shape Extrusions in Pharmaceutical Applications - Bob Bessemer, Conair Group
- Continuous Twin-Screw Melt Granulation of Thermally Labile Drug / Case Study - Tony Listro, Foster Delivery Science
"Live demos" at the Leistritz laboratory
- nano-16 twin screw extrusion system processing 50 gram batch samples
- Film/lamination extrusion system as used for transdermal or dissolvable film applications
- Melt extrusion of poorly soluble active ingredients
- Foaming of an extrudate via sCO2 injection
- Wet and melt granulation
Reception / Dinner
Classroom sessions are held at the Holiday Inn in Clinton, NJ, and extrusion demonstrations at the nearby Leistritz Process Laboratory in Somerville, NJ.
Day 2 - Thursday, June 7, 2018
- Design and Application of Twin Screw Extruder Elements - Brian Haight, Leistritz
- Understanding the Extrusion Design Space of HPMCAS - Kevin O'Donnell, Dow Food, Pharma & Medical
- Industrial Pharmaceutical Application Converting a Fluid Bed Granulation Process to Twin Screw Wet Granulation - Crystal Miranda, Merck
- Polymers Meeting the Challenges with Poorly Soluble APIs by HME - Shaukat Ali, BASF
- Solubility Enhancement and Targeted Delivery Using EUDRAGIT® and EUDRAGUARD® for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients and Dietary Supplements - Firouz Asgarzadeh, Evonik
- Twin Screw Granulation: A Case Study for Enabling an Adaptive Study Plan - Steve Pafiakis, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Stabilizing Meloxicam During Twin Screw Extrusion - Abbe Hasar, Merck
- Granulation Technologies, Developments and Applications - Tom Durig, Ashland Specialty Ingredients
- Die and Downstream Extrusion Techniques - Augie Machado, Leistritz
- Cleaning and Validation of Extrusion Equipment - Bert Elliott, Leistritz
- Control Systems for Pharma Extrusion - Pete Palmer, Wolock & Lott
Interactive screw assembly / design demonstration
4:30 PM - Adjournment
Handout materials: In addition to the presentation materials, attendees will receive a copy of the recently published 2nd edition of the textbook Pharmaceutical Extrusion Technology (a $300 value).
Reserve your seat today! Registration is limited and available on a first come basis.
Price: Early registration, by May 4, 2018, is $820; after this date cost is $920.
Registration: If you have any questions, or wish to register, please e-mail
firstname.lastname@example.org or call Sarah Scovens at 908/685-2333, x614